Skip to content
Operated by Sealine Cruises · owner of the vessels Hotline +84 936 049 131 info@micecruises.com
Home›Weather and risk
Planning guide · Risk

What cancels a sailing, and what only cancels the kayaking

Most weather on this bay affects the programme without stopping it. A small subset stops it completely. Confusing the two is how planners either over-insure or get caught out, and the distinction is worth ten minutes.

15 ktthe wind speed that suspends kayaking
Morningwhen port clearance is decided
D-1 16:00deck-versus-indoor decision deadline
12 monthscredit validity under force majeure
Choppy water and low cloud over the limestone islands of Ha Long Bay

Three tiers of weather impact

TierConditionsWhat happensWho decides
Programme continues, activity changesRain with calm water; wind above about 15 ktKayaking and tender-to-beach suspended. Cave, deck and indoor formats run.Our coordinator, on the water
Programme continues, evening moves indoorsRain, strong breeze, or cold at dinner timeDeck gala moves to the dining room and lounge. Smaller, no stage.You and us, at D-1 16:00
Nothing sailsStorm warning, typhoon track, port authority suspensionDeparture clearance withdrawn for the entire bay. No vessel leaves.Quang Ninh port authority. Not negotiable.
Only the third tier is a cancellation

The first two are what a well-built programme absorbs without anyone outside the planning team noticing. That is what the written fallback is for. If an operator's answer to weather is a single line about force majeure, they have no plan for the first two tiers, which are the ones that happen most weeks of the year.

The sea-state rules our coordinators work to

ConditionKayakTender to beachCaveDeck dinnerSailing
CalmRunsRunsRunsRunsRuns
Choppy, wind under 15 ktShortened circuitSlowerRunsCoordinator's callRuns
Wind above 15 ktSuspendedSuspendedRunsIndoorsRuns, route may shorten
Rain, calm waterGuest choiceRunsRunsIndoorsRuns
Storm warningNoNoNoNoNo departure clearance

These are the coordinator's decisions, taken on the water against conditions rather than against the schedule. A client cannot overrule them and neither can our sales team. It is worth telling your group this in advance so that a suspended kayak session is not read as a service failure.

How the contingency should be written

  1. The indoor alternative is named in the programme document you receive before departure — not identified on the day. On a vessel it is the dining room and lounge; ashore it is a contracted room at a named venue.
  2. There is a decision deadline. Ours is D-1 at 16:00 for anything requiring rigging, with a final confirmation on the day at 14:00. After that the build starts.
  3. Every outdoor element has a written substitute. Kayak becomes cave. Beach games become the deck challenge. The substitutes are in the document your team receives, so nobody is standing on a deck at 15:00 wondering what happens now.
  4. Force majeure is a credit, not a cash refund. Twelve months' validity, transferable to another date. This is the position across the bay and we state it in the quote rather than in a schedule at the back.
  5. Port closure has its own clause, separate from general weather, because the consequences are different. Detail here.

What to tell your group in advance

  • That the kayaking may not run, and that this is a safety decision rather than a scheduling one.
  • That mobile coverage is unreliable at the outer anchorages, so people should not expect to be reachable throughout.
  • That from October to March a deck evening can be cool after sunset — a light layer is worth packing and nobody ever does.
  • That the morning of departure carries a small chance of a port closure, and what the alternative programme is. Groups handle this well when told in advance and badly when told at 07:00 in a coach.
Common questions

Questions we are asked most often

How often is the port actually closed?

Infrequently outside the typhoon season — a handful of days a year. Within June to September it becomes a real planning factor rather than a remote possibility, which is why we require a contracted alternative in that window.

Do we get a refund if the kayaking is cancelled?

No, because the programme continues with a substitute element that was contracted alongside it. What you get is the alternative, delivered without anyone having to improvise.

Can we buy insurance against a port closure?

Event cancellation insurance covering adverse weather exists and for a large programme in the typhoon window it is worth pricing. We are not brokers and cannot advise on the policy — but we will supply whatever documentation an underwriter asks for.

What is the wettest month?

July and August carry the heaviest rainfall, usually as short intense downpours rather than all-day rain. The persistent grey is a winter and early-spring phenomenon, not a summer one.

Request a quote

Four fields and you can send

Tell us the basics and we will come back within eight working hours with feasibility — including how many hulls your headcount actually needs — and within three working days with a detailed quote.

Add more detail optional — the more you tell us, the closer the first draft lands
First reply within 8 working hours · detailed quote within 3 working days